The Animal Science and Production Association congratulates its founder, emeritus president and honorary member prof. Donato Matassino, who received:
(a) a nameplate with the following reason: “For his significant and long-lasting contribution to the management of Animal Genetic Resources”, conferred by ERFP (European Regional Focal Point), composed by 42 Countries, in occasion of 16th Workshop for European National Co-ordinators for the Management of Farm Animal Genetic Resources, held in Heraklion (Crete) on August 21st-22nd 2010 in the framework of 61st Meeting of the European Association for Animal Production (Heraklion, August 23rd-27st), to which about 1,000 participants were present.
16th Workshop for European National Co-ordinators for the Management of Farm Animal Genetic Resources (Heraklion – Crete,Greece, August 21st-22rd 2010). From left : prof. Andreas Georgudis, Executive Secretary of FAO ERFP (European Regional Focal Point); dr. E. Fimland; prof. Donato Matassino (holding the nameplate given by prof. Andreas Georgudis); prof. Asko Maki-Tanila (President of ERFP Steering Committee).
(b) Special Acknowledgement, conferred by Province and Common of Benevento, in the context of the International Meeting “Cooperation and innovation for useful and sustainable development” (Benevento, September 10th); with the following reason: “For his high scientific merit expressed in his long and prestigious research activity in the field of genetic improvement, zootechnics and safeguard of animal biodiversity and bio-territories as well as for his recent and inspiring challenge to revive an ancient cattle extinct in 1627”. In the occasion of ceremony, prof. Guido Rampone dedicated the poetry entitled “The synergistic thought of Donato Matassino”.
Special Acknowledgement to prof. Matassino, conferred by Province and Common of Benevento, in the context of the International Meeting “Cooperation and innovation for useful and sustainable development” (Benevento, September 10th). From left: dr. Fausto Pepe (Auditor of Benevento); prof. Donato Matassino; dr. Grace Portolesi (Minister for Multicultural of South Australia Government).
(c) Acknowledgement, conferred by the Entity ‘Cremona Fiere’ in occasion of “Award Cremona 2010 – First selection of the Italian Handmade Salami”, in the context of the Exhibition “Il Bontà – Italian Show of the traditional wine and food excellences and of the professional facilities” (Cremona, 15th November 2010), with the following reason: "To Donato Matassino, Nigri Suis Salvator”
Prof. Donato Matassino receives the parchment by prof. Corrado Barberis, President of INSOR (National Institute of Country Sociology)
(d) a nameplate, conferred by the Research Centre for Management of Hydrobiological Resources and Aquaculture (CRIAcq) of “Federico II” University to prof. D. Matassino as Founding Director of the Centre, in occasion of the Seminar “The research for aquaculture” [Portici (NA), 15th December 2010], organized for the Decennial of the Centre Foundation, with the following reason “To the Teacher prof.Matassino for his belief in the possibility to transfer the strategy proper of system biology to the development of the aquaculture in bioterritory of the Italy and Campania Region”.
Seminar “The research for aquaculture” (Portici, NA, 15th December 2010).
From left: prof. V. Fogliano (Director of CRIAcq), prof. C.M.A. Barone (Director of CRIAcq 2007-2010), prof. D. Matassino (Founding Director of CRIAcq), prof. A. Bordi (Director of CRIAcq 2003-2006).
The President of ASPA is pleased to communicate to all members that the Board of Governors of the Association has accepted, in its session of 5 October 2010 in Roma, the National Association of Feeds Manufacturers (ASSALZOO) as supporting member of ASPA. The Animal Science and Production Association congratulates Dr. Lea Pallaroni, General Secretary of ASSALZOO, who will represent her Association within ASPA.
The Agricultural Research Council, Fodder and Dairy Production Centre (CRA-FLC)
announces that the
will be held at Cremona (Italy), 7-10 June 2011
The Congress is open to the worldwide scientific community and is the contest where to present original studies and researches concerning all the branches of animal sciences and animal productions. The aim of the Congress is to contribute to the scientific progress of animal sciences to better face the most outstanding challenges of animal farming: environmental impact, human health, animal welfare etc. Cremona is a town with 70.000 inhabitants 80 km southeast of Milan. The town is the center of one of most important Italian rural areas, with large intensive dairy and pig farms and agrifood plants. Instructions to authors can be downloaded here.
The Animal Science and Production Association congratulates its member Bruno Stefanon for the reason described below.
During the last EAAP Meeting in Crete, in August, the General Assembly has provided to renew two members of the Council, and Bruno Stefanon, member of the ASPA Committe from 2004 to 2010, was elected for Italy succeding Giovanni Bittante. Bruno Stefanon will be in duty until 2014.
The EAAP Council is composed by The President, the Past President, two Vice-Presidents, the Secretary General, eight Members, two Auditors, the Alternate Auditor and the FAO Representative. To remind, EAAP represents the professional interests of scientists, academics, professionals and producers, technicians, extension officers, government departments and farmer organisations.
The honorary member Antonio Borghese informs us, by the following short report, on the successful 9th World Buffalo Congress (Buenos Aires, April 25-28, 2010) and on other International Buffalo Federation (IBF) activities.
THE 9TH WORLD BUFFALO CONGRESS
AND OTHER IBF ACTIVITIES
by Antonio Borghese
The most important event organized by IBF is the World Buffalo Congress, held every 3 years by the elected President of IBF, changing the Continent every time.
The last, the 9th World Buffalo Congress, was held in Buenos Aires (Argentina) on April, 25-28, 2010 by the President Eng. Federico Romero, elected in Caserta, Italy, during the IBF meeting on 2007. President of the Scientific Committee was Prof. Gustavo Crudeli, President of the Organizing Committee was Eng. Marco Zava.
The 9th World Buffalo Congress was a success in number of participants (600), represented countries (28), quality of lectures and papers, that produced a Proceedings book of 1102 pages, published on Revista Veterinaria, Universidad Nacional del Nordeste, Corrientes, Argentina, Vol.21, 2010, suppl.1, edited by Gustavo Crudeli, Exequiel M. Patino, José L. Konrad.
On April 26 the IBF meeting was held by the President Federico Romero and by the General Secretary Antonio Borghese with 38 IBF delegates from different countries. About the different activities of IBF the following points were discussed.
- The FAO-ESCORENA organization, that moved the headquarter of the FAO Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia from Rome to Budapest and that is including all the FAO Networks, as buffalo too, organized in March 9-11, 2010 the Regional Workshop on the “Development of Thematic Knowledge Networks” in the framework of “Coherence in Information for Agricultural Research for Development (CIARD)”, where Prof. Borghese was invited as the Coordinator of the Inter-Regional Cooperative Research Buffalo Network. In this occasion the “agrowebcee.net” portal (Typo 3 CMS) was created as a basis for the knowledge management. Now in the website http://www.agrowebcee.net in ESCORENA Buffalo Network it is possible to find news about buffalo and IBF too, books, Buffalo Newsletter and more.
- The Buffalo Newsletter, edited by Antonio Borghese under FAO and IBF logos, is a referent point of activity of FAO-ESCORENA Buffalo Network and of IBF: in 2009 it was published the number 24, sent in 1600 copies, free of charge, to everyone working in buffalo field in many countries, but it is too much expensive, particularly for the expedition cost. So the proposition to continue the Buffalo Newsletter production, but only in electronic version was voted by the delegates.
- The Secretary A. Borghese showed the possibility to involve IBF in research projects: one proposition was presented to the Milano expo 2015, named “The great farm” with the expo of draught animals (buffalo too) in the world to produce work and food in the villages; the second project was presented by Prof. Leopoldo Iannuzzi with the Italian Buffalo Breeders Association (ANASB) on the possibility to create a reference genome sequence and information on genetic variations of the buffalo species.
- Prof. Rangsun Parnpai, from Thailand, was elected IBF President for the period 2010-2013 by the Assembly of IBF delegates with unanimous vote. Therefore he will organize the 10th World Buffalo Congress in Thailand, in Phuket on May 2013. Prof. Parnpai was elected as well President of the Asian Buffalo Association (ABA), during the last 6th Asian Buffalo Congress (Lahore, Pakistan, October 27-30, 2009, Proceedings published in the Pakistan Journal of Zoology, suppl. Series, n.9, Oct. 2009, pages 1-569). Consequently, he will organize the 7thAsian Buffalo Congress together with the 10th World Buffalo Congress. For the first time in the IBF and ABA history, the two congresses will be unified.
The Scientific Association of Animal Production congratulates:
- its member Giuseppe Pulina, who has been elected President for the 2010-2013 triennium by the Plenary Meeting of the Association on June 18, 2010, in Padova, Italy.
- its members Giuseppe Bertoni, Bruno Ronchi, Maurizio Ramanzin and Fabio Pilla, elected members of the Executive Committee of the Association for the 2010-2013 triennium by the same Plenary Meeting (Giuseppe Bertoni is Vice President, Bruno Ronchi is Treasurer).
- its members Luigi Gallo, Luisa A. Volpelli and Francesco Masoero, elected members of the Board of Auditors for the 2010-2013 triennium by the same Plenary Meeting.
- the following new ASPA members, whose admission was approved by the Board of Governors and communicated to the Plenary Meeting of Padova:
Pasquale Caparra (Univ. Reggio Calabria); Eleonora Fusi (Univ. Milano);Giorgio Marchesini (Univ. Padova); Liviana Prola (Univ. Torino); Sandy Sgorlon (Univ. Udine).
The Animal Science and Production Association congratulates its member, prof. Donato Matassino, who:
- (i) has been confirmed member, as expert, of the technical Committee of Zootechnical Book of autochthonous cattle populations and ethnic groups at limited diffusion for 2010-2012 triennium;
- (ii) in May 2010, received 'Scug nizzo d'oro' award for Agricultural Sciences from 'Europe 2000' High culture Academy' (Presidency of Minister Council, Office of Literary Artistic and scientific property, Decree n. 240149/79, year 2010), with the following reason: "For his novel contribution in Genetic improvement of farm animals and biodiversity safeguard".
THE ANIMAL SCIENCES IN THE AWARE SOCIETY
A Meeting in honour of Mario Bonsembiante
The Department of Animal Science of the University of Padova and the Animal Science and Production Association organize a Meeting in honour of the Professor Mario Bonsembiante, founding member of the ASPA and recently passed away.
The Meeting, chairman the President of ASPA Pierlorenzo Secchiari, will be held at the Aula Magna of the Agripolis Campus of the Padova University (Legnaro) from 9.30 to 12.00 am on June 18th, 2010. The lectures (by S. Banni et al. the first, by G. Piva et al. the last) will be introduced by an opening presentation from Luigi Gallo, Head of the Department of Animal Science.
Conclusions and closing remarks of the Meeting will be summarized by Pierlorenzo Secchiari and Giuseppe Bertoni.
The event will be closed with the remembrance of Mario Bonsembiante and with the dedication to him of the building Pentagon and of its Aula Magna.
Organising Secretariat: Department of Animal Science, tel. +39 049 8272617 - +39 049 8272664, fax +39 049 8272633.
In the afternoon (h 14.30, same location) the Animal Science and Production Association will hold its annual Plenary Meeting,
dedicated to the memory of Mario Lucifero,
founding member of the ASPA recently passed away, and including his remembrance.
The Animal Science and Production Association congratulates its founder and honorary member prof. Donato Matassino, who was appointed Adviser of the Academy of Georgofili by decree of the Academy President, Prof. Franco Scaramuzzi.
the Italian Journal of Animal Science [eISSN 1828-051X] is the official journal of the Animal Science and Production Association and it is published by PAGEPress®, Pavia, Italy. Reg. Pavia, n. 2/2010-INF. All credits and honors to PKP for their OJS.