The Scientific Association of Animal Production congratulates its members:
- Luigi Zicarelli, Full Professor at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University Federico II of Napoli (Italy), who has been elected Dean of his Faculty for the 2007-2010 triennium.
- Domenico Pietro Lo Fiego, Full Professor at the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Modena-Reggio Emilia ( Italy), who has been elected Dean of his Faculty for the 2007-2010 triennium.
- Casimiro Crimella, Full Professor at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Milano (Italy), who has been elected Director, for the 2007-2010 triennium, of the new Department of Animal Sciences (DSA: Dipartimento di Scienze Animali); the creation of DSA, gathering together previous institutes from the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and from the Faculty of Agriculture, derives from a long, highly demanding working process and represents the completion of a project started in 1982 and carried out by many people, initially led by the recently disappeared Prof. Giuseppe Rognoni and finally completed by Prof. Crimella.
- Franco Valfrè, Full Professor at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Milano (Italy), for the reason described below.
Gold Medal and Award of Merit in Science, Culture and Art
to Prof. Franco Valfrè
The President of the Republic of Italy has granted to Prof. Franco Valfrè, Full Professor in the University of Milano, the Gold Medal and Award of Merit for outstanding personalities in Science, Culture and Art, by a decree dated June 1st, 2007, for his noteworthy contribution to the fields of animal science, animal production and human health.
The award ceremony took place in the office building of the Ministry of University and Research with the participation of the Minister, honourable Fabio Mussi, on September 20th, 2007.
The member Leonardo Nanni Costa, Full Professor at the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Bologna (Italy), informs us, by means of a short report, of the recent Symposium on the Mediterranean Pig.
The 6th International Symposium on the Mediterranean Pig
The 6th edition of the International Symposium on the Mediterranean pig was held in Capo d'Orlando and in Messina from 11th till 13th of October 2007. The symposium was characterized by a participation of 200 delegates from Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia. One hundred thirty scientific contributes were presented in six sessions and in a conference on the Sicilian Black Pig included in the program. Each session was opened by an invited lecture followed by four oral communications.
The sessions were focussed on different topics such as "Improvement and management of the genetic resources", "Sanitary approaches in the farming systems", "Feeding and rearing systems", "Quality of meat and meat products", "Quality assurance and traceability for typical meat products" and "Socio-economical dynamics for typical meat products".
The symposium gave high concern to the pig's local breeds and to their meat products highlighting the importance to preserve the biodiversity as well as the typicality of some unique pork products. The monitoring of pig parasitic diseases has been examined as well as the non conventional rearing systems used for typical pig breeds and their effects on the pork quality. It has been underlined also the importance of the products traceability and the need to better understand the purchasing dynamics of typical pork products.
The book of abstracts is available on the web site of Black Sicilian Pig at the following address: http://www.suinonero.it/6th_int_sy_med_pig.htm
The next Symposium on the Mediterranean Pig will be held in Cordoba (Spain) on Autumn 2010.
The Scientific Association of Animal Production congratulates:
- its President Pierlorenzo Secchiari, who has been re-elected President for the 2007-2010 triennium by the Plenary Meeting of the Association on May 30, 2007, in Alghero (SS), Italy.
- its members Giuseppe Pulina, Bruno Stefanon, Giuseppe Bertoni and Bruno Ronchi, elected members of the Executive Committee of the Association for the 2007-2010 triennium by the same Plenary Meeting (Giuseppe Pulina is Vice President, Bruno Ronchi is Treasurer).
- its members Luigi Gallo, Luisa A. Volpelli and Sergio Gigli, elected members of the Board of Auditors for the 2007-2010 triennium by the same Plenary Meeting.
- the following new ASPA members, accepted by the same Plenary Meeting: Mariangela Caroprese (Univ. Foggia); Nadia Castellano (ConSDABI, Benevento); Elena Ciani (Univ. Bari); Mariasilvia D'Andrea (Univ. Molise); Emiliano Lasagna (Univ. Perugia); Rosaria Marino (Univ. Foggia); Silvana Mattiello (Univ. Milano); Attilio Mordenti (Univ. Bologna); Lorraine Pariset (Univ. Tuscia); Giovanni Piccolo (Univ. Napoli); Federico Righi (Univ. Parma); Claudia Simontacchi (Univ. Padova); Gentiana Terova (Univ. Insubria); Francesca Tulli (Univ. Udine).
- its member Bruno Stefanon, Full Professor at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Udine (Italy), who has been elected Dean of his Faculty for the 2007-2010 triennium.
The Scientific Association of Animal Production has appointed the
Prize "Donato Matassino"
for the best specialistic degree thesis in Genetics and Genetic Improvement of Livestock.
Prof. Matassino endowed the prize with the aim to offer to young graduated the opportunity of increasing their knowledge about quantitative and molecular genetics.
Any further information can be found on the ASPA website: http://genweb.dsa.unipd.it/aspa/
The Academy of Georgofili has appointed the
Prize "Giancarlo Geri"
for the best specialistic degree thesis in animal sciences got in Veterinary Medicine or Agriculture Faculties. Mrs. Geri endowed the prize in memory of her husband with the aim to rouse in young graduated the passion for study and scientific research in the field of animal husbandry.
Any further information can be found on the website: http://www.georgofili.it
Proceedings of the ASPA 17th Congress
Alghero, May 29 - June 1, 2007
Effects of slaughter weight and sex on carcass traits and meat quality of Casertana pigs reared outdoors G. Maiorano, C. Cavone, K. Paolone, F. Pilla, M. Gambacorta, A. Manchisi
Corresponding author: Giuseppe Maiorano. Dipartimento di Scienze Animali, Vegetali e dell'Ambiente. Università del Molise. Via De Sanctis, 86100 Campobasso, Italy - Tel. +39 0874 404819 - Fax: +39 0874 404855 - Email:email@example.com
page 698, Abstract, line 8:
page 699, Results and Conclusions, line 17:
page 700, Tables 2, column H:
the Italian Journal of Animal Science [eISSN 1828-051X] is the official journal of the Animal Science and Production Association and it is published by PAGEPress®, Pavia, Italy. Reg. Pavia, n. 2/2010-INF. All credits and honors to PKP for their OJS.